2023 OAGC Convention Flower Show Artistic Division
Photo: “Best of Show – 2022”
The 2023 OAGC Convention Flower Show Artistic Division will take place on Wednesday July 12th at the Hancock Hotel in Findlay Ohio and conclude Thursday evening July 13th. Interested exhibitors must pre-register with Deborah Graham, OAGC Flower Shows Chairman. The full artistic schedule is listed below. Classes only will be listed in the 2023 spring issue of the Garden Path.
OAGC Convention Flower Show – July 12-13, 2023
Artistic Flower Show Schedule/ Rules
“Grow with the Flow in Your Backyard”
(See the ‘OAGC Handbook for Exhibitors and Judges’ for page number references.)
- “Metamorphosis” – A miniature design, not to exceed 5” in any direction. (Page 24)
- “Climate Change” – A small design, more than 5” but less than 12” in any direction. (Page 24)
- “Algae” – A miniature design, not to exceed 5” in any direction, using predominantly foliage. (Page 24)
- “In Your Own Backyard” – Incorporating native plants in the design.
- “Stream Bank” – A panel design. (Page 109)
- “Hop to It” – A satellitic design. (Page 111)
- “Below the Surface” – A transparency design. (Page 113) (Class for exhibitors who are not judges.)
- “Grow with the Flow” – A creative floor design of own interpretation. (Page 107) See Rule # 11 for details.
- Creature in the Garden” – A creature made from any type of natural material. Not to exceed 12” in any direction.
Artistic Flower Show Rules
- The Artistic Convention Flower Show is open to all Ohio Association of Garden Clubs (OAGC) Members and OAGC Members-At-Large (MAL). To be eligible to enter, adult exhibitors must be registered for convention, while junior exhibitors are not required to register for convention. If a junior is unable to attend convention, an adult who is registered may bring the junior’s entry to the convention.
- Adult and junior exhibitors must preregister with Deborah Graham OAGC Flower Shows Chair at (937) 747-2474 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Classes will be filled in the order in which reservations are received by registering with Deborah Graham, OAGC Flower Shows Chair. Only one entry per person until June 1, 2023. If classes are not filled by June 1st then members may sign up for additional designs.
- Each adult class is limited to four entries. Junior classes have unlimited entries.
- Designers registering for a class must fulfill their commitment or provide a substitute and notify the flower show chair of the change.
- All entries must be the work of the exhibitor and must be placed by the exhibitor between 9 am and 1 pm on Wednesday, July 12, 2023. Closed judging will begin at 1:30 pm that day. Entries must remain in place until 8 pm on Thursday, July 13, 2023.
- Entry tags and 3”x 5” cards will be furnished. Exhibitors must list plant material used, type of design that they are doing and their interpretation on the 3”x 5” card provided.
- Juniors must fill out their own entry tags and cards. The junior’s age should be put on the card.
- Designs must include plant material, fresh or dried. No artificial plant material allowed. Dried/preserved material may be natural color or painted/treated. Feathers on the list of page 23 of the OAGC Handbook for Exhibitors and Judges are not allowed.
- Plant material on the conservation list may not be used unless grown by the exhibitor and should be stated on a card accompanying the design.
- Neither the show committee nor OAGC can assume responsibility for loss or damage. All possessions should be marked with the exhibitor’s name and address.
- Staging Notes: Class 1, Class 2, and Class 3 will be staged on an elevated white marble table and be viewed from all sides. Classes 4-7 will each be displayed in a space 30” wide x 30” deep x 45” tall within white cardboard backgrounds on white table coverings. Class 8 (floor design) will each be staged within a 6’x 6’ floor space and will be viewed from all sides. Junior Class 9 will be staged on a table with a white table covering.
- The white cardboard backgrounds will be provided by the show committee. Exhibitors may and are encouraged to enhance the backgrounds and underlay. (Do not pin, staple, paste, tape or paint, etc. the background provided.) Exhibitors may put their own background within the confines of the background provided. Accessories and or/bases may be used to enhance designs but are not required.
- Ribbon awards of first, second, third and fourth place will be given in all classes. More than one fourth place may be given in junior classes. Rosette awards will be given in the Adult Division for the Best of Show, the Victor Ries Creativity Award, the Judges Award of Distinction and the People’s Choice. A rosette will be given in the Junior Division for the Best of Show.
- People’s Choice: Each registered convention participant will be allowed to cast one vote for their favorite design from any of the Adult artistic designs starting after the completion of judging on Wednesday, July 12, 2023 until 4 pm Thursday, July 13, 2023. Your choice does not have to be a blue ribbon winner. A ballot will be in each person’s convention name tag. Votes will be counted and the winner will be announced on Thursday evening of the convention.
- Accredited judges of The Ohio Association of Garden Clubs, Inc. will evaluate the show according to the OAGC Handbook for Exhibitors and Judges. The judge’s decision is final.